On the way to first day of floristry school, I felt nervous, anxious and was coaxing myself this was an exciting start to learn something I like.
Nine months of giving up my weekends? What if my flower arrangements turn out to look sad? Going back to school again? Why?? All these questions kept running through my mind.
The moment I walked into the classroom, I not only dispelled all that anxious feeling, I actually felt happy. My classmates, from different job backgrounds like accountants, media, advertising, retail, homemaker, are all lovely. What a relief! I realised everyone shared the same anxiety and I even had a classmate who drives from the Blue Mountains to come to class every week. Makes my journey nothing to complain about.
Our lecturer, a former Pearsons School of Floristry student from years ago, has her own business and besides teaching part-time, now enjoys doing wedding designs. I appreciate Bridgette went through the same learning process as we will be.
Above: My bag of apron, pruning scissors, de-thorner, notebook and pen.
No doubt I’ll proudly build up my own tradie toolbox in no time, look what a basic florist toolbox consist of!
We commenced the course with these five units:
- Safe work practices
- Maintaining floristry tools and equipment
- Recognising flower and plant materials
- Receiving and storing floristry stock
- Preparing and caring for floristry stock
Halfway into the first day of the course, I realised how excited I was to learn even the mundane topics as it all made sense!
Then came the assignments where we have to do 2 practical testing scenarios at home, one Controlled and the other Conditioned. The end result should prove that by conditioning your cut plants, you get better looking and longer lasting foliage and flowers. I also learnt some flowers you thought were dying could be revived by cutting the stem, place it in boiling water for 10 secs, place it back in lukewarm water. It kind of reminded me of CPR where you revive. I also busted the myth of adding sugar to your flower water as it introduces bacteria growth and kills the flower quicker. Instead put a teaspoon of bleach to get rid of bacteria, add flower nutrient powder and change your water every 2 – 3 days.
For now, I’ve got to monitor my A/B testing and record results on Day 1, 4 and 7. Already I found the Conditioned plant is doing far better than the Control.
Another assignment is understanding Rose and Lily, their Botanical names (Rosa and Lilium), buying tips based on researching their seasonality, origin and conditioning requirements. That’s 2 out of 70 species I’ve got to know about by the end of 9 months.
Below: Two highly recommended books if you want to know your Flower and Foliage care and identification.
First day in and I’m enjoying the experience immensely. A weekly walk through Sydney’s signature Hyde Park is also a nice way to end / start a fun week.
Stay tuned next week for Flower Design!